- What do you study about an organism to learn about its metabolism ?
- With an example explain the term homeostasis .
- How can you define the term life?
- Put these terms in a complete sentence that explain their meaning. ( Cells, Organisms, Strucure, & function).
- Why do organisms reproduce?
ORGANISMS -Living Things-
A tree, a cow, a mushroom.bacteria (microscopic), and a student in your class, are all organisms , that are both similar and different from each other. Living things are also different from nonliving things. Can you name some characteristics that are similar among all living things? Ok how about naming a few differences among them. Try to explain your answers.
What is life?
There is no agreement among scientists for a simple definition of life. All organisms share characteristics shown only by living things.
Characetisics of living things:
- All are organized structures – made of cells– that are the basic units of structure and function.
- All use energy to perform all life activities including growth and development.
- all organisms maintain
homeostasis– their internal environment, regardless of an unstable external .environment.
- All organisms reproduce by passing their (genetic) heredity information to new organisms (next generation )
- Nonliving things have no functioning cells and no metabolic processes.Reproduction and maintenance of homeostasis are not carried out.
Humans and the environment are in a dynamic interaction., that may lead to to drastic changes in both sides.Let us examine how humans improve their environment and protect it.
This is a very unique process that changes communities – in ecosystems – over time.This series of changes lead to the development of a stable or climax community.This gradual process is summarized by this power point presentation.
This power point presentation will take you in a journey though the amazing interactions among the biotic components of the. environment. specifically it discusses and explains the following concepts:
Pyramids of Energy and biomass.
In order to study the environment, you must start with an ecosystem.It is the basic unit that represent the our environment.
school, aquarium.,and a forest.
Enjoy a short trip through the environment to see how organisms depends on each other and the physical components of an ecosystems to survive.